Small Business For Sale Listings Reach Six Year High per BizBuySell’s 2nd Quarter 2015 Insight Report
BizBuySell recently released their Business For Sale Insight Reports for the 2nd Quarter of 2015 stating growing supply & Demand continues high transaction trend. Overall “business sales” were up 12% vs. 2nd quarter 2014. This level of performance has not been seen since 2009. Below are a few additional summary items from BizBuySell’s reports.
- Median small business asking price grew 13% in the past year, while sale price increased 12%.
- Manufacturing businesses led the recent growth spurt with a 29 percent uptick from the same period last year.
- Business listings in the restaurant (12 percent), service (11 percent) and retail (9 percent) industries also experienced year-over-year supply growth.
- The median revenue of sold businesses increased to $450,000 this quarter (the highest on record since report inception in 2007).
- The median cash flow rose slightly to 102,995 from $100,000 at the same time last year.
- California saw large increases in the number of small businesses on the market.
- San Jose (up 64 percent)
- Sacramento (up 42 percent)
- San Francisco (up 31 percent)
- San Diego (grew by 18 percent)
- Los Angeles (7 percent increase)
To help show a picture of what happened in the 2nd quarter of 2015 for California below is a chart showing the number of business’s listed and the average cash flow multiple. We also added a column using $200,000 cash flow as an example to show a California market comparison.
|California Highlights||# listed||Cash Flow Multiple||Hypothetical 200kCash Flow x Multiple = Listing Price|
|Contra Costa-Alameda-Solano, CA||187||2.85||$570,000|
|San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA||389||2.53||$506,000|
|San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA||342||3.10||$620,000|
|San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA||184||3.04||$608,000|
“There will always be some outliers, but this quarter’s data confirms that small business listings, transactions and financials are all continuing on a great trend,” Bob House, Group GM of BizBuySell.com and BizQuest.com said. “Nationally, the transaction volumes, key financial indicators and economic environment during the first half of 2015 point to another robust business-for-sale market in the second half of the year.”
Want to learn about selling your business and what your own personal Sellability Score is? Click here.
If you’re interested in learning about your selling options, getting a professional business valuation, or getting help creating an exit strategy, please feel free to CALL Evolution Advisors at 916.993.5433 or visit our website: www.EvoBizSales.com