A recent article posted on BizJournals.com entitled “Top 5 rules on preparing your company for sale” explains how the best time to begin preparing your business for sale is right now. The article highlights these main rules to follow:
- Start auditing your financial statements now as these will be required by the purchaser.
- Keep appropriate, complete corporate books and records so everything is ready to be presented to a buyer when the time comes.
- Obtain a professional valuation of your company so you can use this as a roadmap for growing your company and ultimately maximizing the exit price.
- Use the valuation of your company to determine what assets are superfluous and will not be valued. This can also help you make future decisions with your business strategy.
- Start the process now for finding a second in command who could easily replace the founder of the company. This will be very valuable to the future buyer after the sale is made.
Starting to prepare your business for sale now will help make the sale process much easier when you decide it’s time to sell.